- 8oz. ramps*
- 1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. Parmiggiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups arborio or vialone nano rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 bunches asparagus, cut into 1/2” pieces
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup ramp cooking water
- 1 cup Parmiggiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Make the pesto
- Cut the greens from the ramps and blanch in a large pot of boiling, salted water until just wilted.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking water.
- Chop the remaining parts of the ramps.
- Combine ramp greens, chopped ramps, toasted walnuts, olive oil, cheese and salt in a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
*If ramps are no longer in season, you can substitute scallions, garlic, garlic scapes or some combination of the three.
Make the risotto
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft and translucent.
- Add rice and stir until well coated with butter.
- Add wine and cook until fully absorbed. Start adding stock in 1/2 cupfuls. Cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Add asparagus pieces and continue adding stock until rice is tender, and additional 8-10 minutes.
- Add ramp pesto and stir well.
- Add parmesan and cream and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.