FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets packed in oil (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (if using anchovies, you will probably need very little salt)
FOR THE SALAD
- 3-4 slices whole wheat or spelt bread, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. baby kale, washed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Parmigiano-Reggiano (I like to use a vegetable peeler)
- Combine dressing ingredients and mix well. If using the anchovies, mix until fillets have dissolved into the dressing.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss bread cubes and olive oil on a baking sheet until cubes are well coated; bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until brown and crisp.
- Combine kale and croutons in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss well. Add half of the Parmigiano and mix again. Top with remaining cheese.