For the salad
- 4 medium-to-large beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Toss the beets and squash with the olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast in the oven until cooked, about 20 minutes. Let cool fully.
- Combine beets, squash, feta, walnuts, and thyme in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing and mix well. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
For the dressing
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine the balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and mix well.
- Add the olive oil and whisk until fully emulsified.