For the Poached Pears
- 10 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups maple sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 slices of ginger, unpeeled
- 6 Bosc pears
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Combine water, sugar, cinnamon, and ginger in a large pot. Bring to a boil.
- Peel the pears and rub with lemon juice.
- Simmer pears in liquid until tender, 25–30 minutes. Remove pears and cut into 1/2-in. cubes.
- Boil liquid until reduced to syrupy consistency.
For the Congee
- 1/2 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 5 cups water
- Put rice, salt and water in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 1 hour (until rice has the texture of porridge) stirring occasionally.
- Add the poached pears and syrup to rice. Cook another 10 minutes.