Makes about 1 dozen cookies
This year I asked my mother to send me her recipes for holiday cookies so I could start the tradition of making them with my children. I have fond memories of the scent of chocolate and cloves wafting through the air when my mom made this particular recipe. It’s not necessarily a holiday cookie, though the cloves definitely make it more wintry.
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 large egg whites
- In a food processor, grind chocolate to a crumbly texture (do not overmix or it will melt).
- Put the flour and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in the chocolate.
- Add spices and egg whites and mix until dough comes together.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Sprinkle sugar on a large board and roll out dough to1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies and transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Reduce heat to 325° F and bake cookies for 13 to15 minutes, until slightly firm. It is important not to overbake the cookies or they will be too hard.