- I pledge to eat local, eat in season, and support local farmers who practice sustainable agriculture.
- I pledge to preserve biodiversity and natural resources where I can, and to care about the future of our food.
- I pledge to minimize food and water waste in my kitchen and workplace.
- I pledge to support Slow Food; encourage others to learn about good, clean and fair food; and raise my fork against climate change.
- Cook at home whenever you can.
- Find out about your local farmers markets. If they don’t take place at a convenient day and time, find out about joining a CSA. The Union Square farmers market in NYC takes place several days a week, and there are great farmers markets in Greenwich and Westport.
- There are more and more farm-to-home delivery services, find out about joining one of those. In the Greenwich, CT area there is Mike’s Organic and CT Farm Fresh Express.
- Compost, compost, compost! Save all your food scraps and compost them. Even if you don’t have a vegetable garden, you can use them for your flowers or drop them off at a local compost center.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables and less meat and fish. And, when eating meat or fish, be conscious of where it’s coming from and how it was raised.
I recently traveled to Switzerland with my family to visit my extended family. Here are some photos of our trip.